Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Bigfoot Tracks: A Creep Squad Collection

This was originally planned to be my Halloween reading but I ordered it a little too late for it to arrive in time for that purpose.
What if ALL the stories were true? 
What if Bigfoot really did exist? What if he depended upon people's belief in him for his very existence? 
What if he needed a job and the only he was suited for was keeping the other legends in their place? 
What if he became a superhero and joined the Creep Squad?  
Enjoy three stories from the files of The Creep Squad - that pack of cryptids, legends, and nondescript rumors who fight crime and misjustice anywhere that you aren't looking.

This book really seemed to be perfect for me. The Sasquatch's "job" referred to above is a position with the SOBs, the Spiritual Operations Branch of the RCMP. His boss is the ghost of Sam Steele and the various other SOBs, and the challenges they face, are based around Canadian legends.

But...I have the worst damn luck.

This book is supposed to include three tales told over about 90 pages.  It is a collection of short stories written prior to the release of a full-length novel called Big Hairy Deal.

That already seemed a little brief for my liking, but I noticed that BHD is over 250 pages long. It appeared like Bigfoot Tracks would make a good sampler then, so I made my purchase.

So far so good, except that the print version of the book includes the same story twice. Bloody hell.

I can only assume that's a mistake though I don't know by whom and at what point in the publishing process. The second version of the story is no different, that I can see. Even a couple of spelling errors from the first version remain present so it's not an updated, edited re-issue. It's just the same story printed twice, plain and simple.

Ah well. It's too bad because I was enjoying the book just fine. The Sasquatch narrates Three Thousand Miles of Cold Iron Tears, which also features his boss, Sam Steele. I'm not yet done reading the other story, but it is called A Couple of Bottles of Watered-Down Wine and involves a character named Major Maple meeting a legendary monster he refers to as "Frankie".

The whole concept is a neat idea. At least based on my small sample size, it's written in the first person and very casually so. Sasquatch could be telling you about his most recent adventure while the two of you are roasting marshmallows over a camp fire.

But apparently you want to get the Kindle edition. From what I can gather from reviews, that version has the correct material.

No comments:

Post a Comment